A Pet’s Life

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Just to let you know...

My Human took me to the Bird Doctor on Friday because I was really not well at all. I haven't spoken to anyone since Tuesday and just want to be left alone to sleep in the sun, but I am being bothered every five minutes.


With very little enticing I was put into my travelling cage and off we went.  All those cars we saw on the way just made me wish I could be at home.  It was quite a long ride and I had to hold on for dear life in my frail state, but I got there in one piece.


The Doctor gave me a thorough examination and wagged his finger at my Human and told her that I have severe diarrhoea and am chronically dehydrated.  He also said that seeds MUST BE BANISHED from every bird's diet because they are not nutritious at all and could even be classified a poison as all they contain is oil, oil and yes, oil.  I don't exactly eat a lot of seed because my Human limits them and I have to beg when I am really desperate for them.  As for pellets, well I suppose I will have to get used to them.  I've always ignored them when they are mixed with the seed, but there will be no avoiding them now!


Anyway, after a nasty injection and being force-fed some yukky porridge substance containing medication to stop the diarrhoea, the Doctor gave my Human medicines for me to have at home with strict instructions on how and when to give them to me.  Nasty drops from a dropper and a powder that has to be mixed with water and given to me with a syringe.  It is awfully sweet and I detest having to have it.  Makes me want to heave.  Sshhivverrss!


I didn't have a very good weekend although my energy levels had improved a bit and I was feeling peckish. My Human was very kind in offering me all kinds of things to eat to make sure I had at least something in my tummy.  But I was really wanting seeds, and no-one was giving me any.  That is SO depressing.  And DREAD!  Every hour or so I had to have that sweet water, ugh! At least I was getting something I suppose and I was feeling a little stronger.


I was also put into a room with a heater to keep the temperature up so I could use my energy to get better rather than to keep warm.  I have been so spoilt, but I cannot be more thankful for all the love and care from my Humans and I have slept well.

But on Sunday I developed a terrible itch and started picking the feathers off my lower stomach, leaving an oozing bald spot. When my Human saw it, she instantly paled and couldn't stop staring at me with a real shock-horror expression.  If I had the energy to I would have laughed, but I didn't because I couldn't.  It really must have looked awful because she immediately wrapped me in a towel, turned me onto my back and had a good look at what was going on.  She wiped it clean, but I could tell that this was trouble and she kept saying that the Bird Doctor must have used a dirty needle when he injected me or perhaps it had been overlooked on Friday, but I couldn't tell her that it wasn't there then.


Well, the upshot of all this is that I am now sitting in hospital with a whole lot of other birds.  My Human took me back to the Bird Doctor yesterday afternoon and he took one look at this sore, plucked out a whole lot of feathers that had me screeching.  Golly it was sore!  Man has no mercy! But then he made me a fancy collar,  the size of a breadplate, and said it is to stop me from pecking the bad flesh I have developed so it can heal.  It is a real designer item and I think I might just start a business supplying them. I saw how he made it so I have the pattern etched in my head.  I believe cats and dogs can wear them too! Bird CollarCat and Dog Collars .  I will send a picture of mine as soon as I can.  Much better than these!


So, I am to be in hospital for a couple of days, being force-fed, examined, pushed and prodded until I am ready to go home. 


I do believe I am in good hands and will get better, but I just wish that my Human could be here with me.  I have never been left in strange places with strange people and strange everything and I am feeling so, so lonely...


I would love to hear from you, so please leave a cheerful comment below and I will respond as soon as I am on my feet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment